Tuesday, April 6, 2010

No Knead Ciabatta Bread


Recipe courtesy: Food Wishes

I always wanted to bake bread , somehow I didn’t have the courage. May be it’s my previous experience with bread had stopped me. Back in india, before my marriage Sundays used to be my culinary experimental days: white rats? My parents and two dogs :). Once I came across this awesome honey bread recipe, I decided I am gonna make it. My mother being wiser told me to use half the quantity since it’s an experiment. Well no , I was very sure that this will be a success and I some how convinced her. The ingredients were 1kg all purpose flour, honey and blah blah blah. I made it according to the instructions and a golden brown loaf was the result. I made tea and invited my parents to the table. Hmmm you should have the seen the look on my father’s face, as if his daughter has conquered the world. They both sat down and I started slicing the bread, well the knife was not moving. How do you cut a chicken? Yeah I had to use the same butcher knife and the force. My mother was hesitant on trying the piece like thing I had served, but my dad somehow managed to nibble something from the sides and he was so happy that his daughter made “BREAD AT HOME”.

The saddest part is that since I didn’t want to hurt my parents tooth anymore I happily gave the bread to my dogs and they rejected it. After the first bite they gave me a stare that I will never forget. From that day I never went near them alone, who knows whether they will take the revenge???

Anways this Ciabatta bread came out well and my family loved, especially my little one. I made it one V- Day. Because of his curiosity he started poking the bread which I had kept on the table to cool down. I was trying to keep him away from my bread and forgot to switch of the oven with my Parmesan chicken and nearly burned it. Well life is not that easy!!!

Ingredients:

Bread flour / All Purpose Flour- 4 cups
Yeast- 1/4 tsp
Water- 2 cups
Salt- 1 1/2 tsp

Method:

In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, yeast, water and salt together. It comes out as a very sticky dough. Cover the bowl with silver foil and keep it at room temperature to rise for 18 hrs.



After 18 hrs, you’ll get a very bubbly sticky dough. On a silver foil or plastic sheet sprinkle some flour and scrape down the dough. Sprinkle some more flour on top of the dough and slowly punch down the air. Stretch it into long flat loaf. On a baking sheet spray some oil and sprinkle corn meal generously. Transfer the dough to the sheet and shape the loaf once more. Cover it with a kitchen towel and let it rise for 3 hrs.



Pre-heat the oven to 425 C. Fill a loaf pan with water and keep it inside the oven. Steam from this will give the bread a nice crust and chewy inside. Bake the loaf for 35- 45 mns. Cool it over a wire rack and enjoy….


My little one having fun !!!

26 comments:

Suji said...

HI Preethi..Long time..Great recipe..We too always want to bake a bread, but never put our hands on it yet..Yours looks nicely baked and perfect..

Love
Kairali sisters

kitchen queen said...

perfectly baked lovely ciabatta bread with a step by step demo.

PS said...

Hi preethi, delicious ciabatta bread, got to bake myself since i always like ciabatta bread..

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Great bread with simple ingredients, thanks for sharing dear...

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Hey,
Awesome bread. Looks like this one is a major success story. Love the bread

Priya Suresh said...

Wow fantastic bread, wish i could have some slices rite now..

Sarah Naveen said...

nice recipe..looks simply superb..love the kitchne towels :)

Dolly Sharma said...

Dear Preethi...Mission accomplished..Ur Ciabatta bread looks awesome so now you can make it again..lol. In fact I love Ciabatta bread but have never baked it..now since you have this fool proof recipe..I'm going to try this soon..

AdukalaVishesham said...

hey..we havent also ventured into baking breads yet.. love the bread...it's inner texture looks so airy n soft

Gomathy S said...

Wow looks heavenly !!

Pavithra Srihari said...

Hi preethi, I was laughing like anything reading your post specially that dog stare and ur father looked at you as if You have conquered the world.brilliant writing dear.

well the bread looks simply awesome dear.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

hahah so nice to read the story.The bread looks so yumy and great that ur family liked it

Padhu Sankar said...

It looks awesome .Love it very much!!

Tina said...

Looks delicious and perfect...

Simplyfood said...

This loaf of bread looks delicious.As they say keep trying and you will be perfect.

Simplyfood said...

This loaf of bread looks delicious.As they say keep trying and you will be perfect.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Bread has turned out perfect Preethi...I too have some similar cooking experiences...with my dog too :)

Namitha said...

perfectly baked bread...what a luxurious break fast

shriya said...

Awesome ciabatta bread preeti. Nice preparation and thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hi Preethi. bread looks so professional. For the Tried and Tasted event, I think I did not receive your email. Did you receive a confirmation email? Sorry abt that. Can you pls send another email so that I can include the details in the roundup.

Nisha said...

wow ,looks great

Panchpakwan said...

Bread looks so perfect..

Hayley said...

Perfectly baked bread..looks yumm!!

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Looks delicious.

shahana said...

Looks so perfect!

Padhu Sankar said...

Looks lovely and perfect!!

All recipes are on Petitchef

Search This Blog