Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Eggless Tiramisu

















The phrase tirami su literally means "pick me up" or "pull me up" in reference to the effects of the sugar and espresso. It is also thought to mean "pick me up to heaven" due to the delightful taste. It is a very popular dessert loved by everyone, atleast those I know.



It is made by layering cake or ladyfingers dipped in a mixture of coffee (espresso) and coffee liqueur (Kahlua), followed by a layer of Zabaglione or Zabaione (a rich Italian custard that is made by whipping egg yolks, sugar, and sweet Marsala wine over a water bath) that has been mixed with mascarpone cheese.



I wanted to make something new for X’Mas and declared to my family that Tiramisu will be the dessert. Hubby happily agreed to that ,but my mom asked for more details and she said I am sorry I’ll have it the next day , I am fasting on Friday and I can’t have.




So I wanted to make eggless version, unfortunately my mom had it only the next day cause it has Kahlua and Marsala wine. Instead of ladyfingers I made eggless sponge cake and cut it into ½ inch thick slices. I have added the recipe for eggless sponge cake too, pls check it out.
If you don’t want to add alcohol, pls don’t .This won’t drastically change the taste, In the original recipe, there was no liquor as the cake was originally aimed at children and the elderly





Ingredients:


Eggless Sponge cake – 40 Slices


Soaking Syrup

Coffee Powder ( instant)- 5Tbsp
Hot Water- 1Cup
Kahlua or any coffee liqueur - ¼ cup

Cheese Mixture

Mascarpone cheese- 3 cups (24 OZ)
Cream Cheese - 8 OZ
Vanilla Essence - ½ tsp
Marsala Wine- ½ Cup
Confectioner Sugar - ½ Cup

For Dusting

Cocoa Powder



Cream Topping:



In a bowl, with a wooden spoon or hand mixer, beat the mascarpone cheese and cream cheese until it is soft and smooth. Add marsala wine , sugar and vanilla essence and beat until smooth.




Coffee Soaking Syrup:





In a large shallow bowl combine the coffee powder (instant), hot water, and Kahlua. Set aside.



To Assemble:






















Dip sponge cake slices in the coffee mixture and place them side by side in a single layer over the bottom of the pan. Spoon 1/2 of the cream filling over the cake layer, making sure they are completely covered. Repeat with another layer of cake slice by dipping them in the coffee mixture and placing them on top of the cream. Again, cover the cake layer with rest of the cream. Sift the cocoa powder over the cream cheese. Cover the Tiramisu and refrigerate at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.



















































































1 comment:

FoodLovers said...

my fav Preethi ..
pls checkmy blog if u get a chance

All recipes are on Petitchef

Search This Blog