Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Shortbread Cookies






“I want biscuit” my son demanded, I raided the pantry for parle-g. Nope it’s not there, hmm middle of the night where can I find some. I asked “you want cookies? (just thought he will calm down with that) , he looked at me ( more of a stare) “no I want biscuit”. Hmm that was new, he is a cookie fan. Somehow we were able to divert his attention. The next day morning he popped the same demand. I told soon after school you will get one, when mom and I went for shopping I came across the shortbread cookies, which almost looked like a biscuit. I was able to cheat my little one and to my surprise he liked the taste. At that point I decided I’ll make this, more over I had promised my hubby that I will bake something for the office.

My search ended when I stumbled upon joyofbaking’s shortbread cookie recipe. Shortbread cookies are very light , declious and very very buttery flavoured. You can even flavor it up with anything. For a good shortbread two things are very essential an AA quality Butter and pure vanilla essence (no imitations pls).


Baking was fun, my baby even helped in cutting out some of the cookies and he liked them too.



Shortbread Cookies:

2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
1 cup (2 sticks) (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (60 grams) powdered (confectioners or icing) sugar
1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract

Shortbreads:

In a separate bowl whisk the flour with the salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream the butter until smooth (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until smooth (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated. Flatten the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill the dough for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) with the rack in the middle of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to 1/4 inch (.5 cm) thick. Cut into rounds or whatever shapes you wish using lightly floured cookie cutter. Place the cookies on the baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. This will firm up the dough so the cookies will maintain their shape when baked. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until cookies are lightly brown. Cool on rack.

Shortbread with keep in an airtight container for about a week or frozen for several months.
Makes about 20 shortbread cookies


I am sending this to Cakes n cookies hosted by Sara


1 comment:

Sara's Corner said...

Nice n perfect biscuits. Pls include the logo and link in the post.

All recipes are on Petitchef

Search This Blog